Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #211
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame_Siryn View Post
Sorry I was born after the Bronze age started and I didn't start collecting comics until the Modern age.
and my husband and i dressed up as green lantenrs two years ago. He was Alan Scott, and I was Hal Jordan (or even Kyle Rayner, if you wanna go that route).
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #212
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
and my husband and i dressed up as green lantenrs two years ago. He was Alan Scott, and I was Hal Jordan (or even Kyle Rayner, if you wanna go that route).
That's nice. Yet I do feel that DC wasted a lot of press "outing" Alan Scott when it could have been a well known character that others like myself are familiar with.

Now if it would have been Earth-2 Batman, then the world would be buzzing loudly. Other than that, its just Marvel and DC trying to outduel each other for the sake of press or just trying to play catch up with Archie comics (of all comics!).
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #213
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

As much as I disagree with the 'change for change's sake' mentality of DC in this regard, I wish that once they had decided to do it they had've bitten the bullet and made a major A lister gay.

Like everything with the DC relaunch, IMO the problem has been half hearted approaches to major decisions.

We're going to relaunch everything...urm except Batman and GL...and there'll be a five year buffer where we can revert back some other stuff if we want to, giving us an out from every decision we make (not to mention the fact that Batman and Flash are at least subliminally conscious of Flashpoint and hence the fact that there have been changes).

And now this prominent character turns out to be a minor character by GL standards (probably the least favourite generally of the Earth Based GL's) in a beta (at best ) team.

Why not make one of the Justice League gay...oh yes, they don't want to harm sales for the highest rated book.

Go hard or go home DC...
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #214
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Sorry Bat-Collector, I have to agree with Madam Siryn there. Allan Scott, while rich with history, is not an "A-lister". I have read a ton of stuff with him and collected JSA intermittently but I would still not put him in the upper echelon of the current comics consciousness. Even as far as Green Lanterns go he is an anomaly that DC has had trouble reconciling. What should almost be more insulting is that it is not even a current universe character but the "Earth 2" version.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #215
adee
Green Arrow

Calling Alan Scott a prominent character is a stretch.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #216
Lord Loki
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

so its not even in their reg universe. If it was eath 2 then just make it Supes and done with it. All they are doing is telling the same old (like dino) Lois an clark stories any way heck make him That way in reg as it might make him more intresting. An while they are at it make Wonder woman swing both ways most of the art on the net already does.
Lord Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #217
rychehitman
Galactus

All this hubbub and nobody even notices that there is a gay character on the Teen Titans team...

Oh! That's because they are doing it right in that book and not making a big deal about it because his sexuality isn't defining him.....his heroics are!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #218
Lord Loki
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

^^^ Could also be because no one reads it as well.
Lord Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #219
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
All this hubbub and nobody even notices that there is a gay character on the Teen Titans team...

Oh! That's because they are doing it right in that book and not making a big deal about it because his sexuality isn't defining him.....his heroics are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Loki View Post
^^^ Could also be because no one reads it as well.
Which is a shame. I have wasted lots of money on the New 52 stuff but Teen Titans is a fantastic book that doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #220
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post

that is what drove me nuts with Batwoman. Every single issue on the front page, DC stated she was a "proud lesbian"...every single issue she was kissing another woman

The whole Batwoman book became the story of a lesbian who fights evil when she has time. I don't read comics to focus on characters sexuality...I read comics to escape and read a good story
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote