Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #121
MrYac
Hercules

i've just never felt forcing an issue into a situation where it isn't called for was the best way to teach people tolerance, but this is an issue nobody will ever sway the other side on, so no biggie
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #122
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
meh, i tend to agree more with Cessna that this is far more a pandering move then a real step for equality. my same issue with Black-Fury create new characters don't alter existing ones just to fill quotas. but honestly i don't care, as long as it's not Detective Chimp they can pick whoever they want

Exactly.
Just write good characters, don't beat it over peoples heads they are gay and make such a production out of it. First gay this, coming out that, damn it this is history being made!

Just write stories that make you care about the characters.

That is more a contemporary reality in life I think.
People meet people in life and care about them as human beings. Being gay is incidental.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #123
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i've just never felt forcing an issue into a situation where it isn't called for was the best way to teach people tolerance, but this is an issue nobody will ever sway the other side on, so no biggie
That's not true, a lot of people don't have a side, they just don't know any different. The fact that straight politicians are coming out on the side of equality in the last few years show their is progress. The older people die off and the younger people become of age, things will change for good.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #124
JosephCPR
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
So, which characters are fair game and which are not to make a more contemporary reality?

Superman's love for Lois Lane too strong and ingrained in minds to have him suddenly discover he is gay?

Batman comes out and it would be a nightmare PR problem with all those jokes about Robin over the years.

Should it only be a good character?

A villian would probably not go over well at all would it?

Joker comes out gay? A psycho murderer wouldn't be a very popular move with those viewing this as
a way for more acceptance of contemporary reality.

Clearly some characters would not be considered at all.
Why not wait until they they reveal which character they choose first, and then discuss about it later?

I honestly wouldn't care about the popularity of the character, but I agree certain ones couldn't be altered now. But not just in the sense of sexual orientation...but any alterations in general such as race, powers or social status (to name a few)

Can anyone imagine a black or chinese Superman? or a not wealthy Batman/Bruce Wayne? It just wouldn't fit those characters because we all have very fixed knowledge about them, they are too popular and iconic...but with others...alterations are possible.
JosephCPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #125
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCPR View Post
Why not wait until they they reveal which character they choose first, and then discuss about it later?

I honestly wouldn't care about the popularity of the character, but I agree certain ones couldn't be altered now. But not just in the sense of sexual orientation...but any alterations in general such as race, powers or social status (to name a few)

Can anyone imagine a black or chinese Superman? or a not wealthy Batman/Bruce Wayne? It just wouldn't fit those characters because we all have very fixed knowledge about them, they are too popular and iconic...but with others...alterations are possible.

Well it begs the question if one character is changed, fundamentally perhaps, we don't know which character yet, but it's supposed to be a big deal, then what is the next character?
Maybe it's some other change the next time.

Where does it end?

Maybe folks that champion this change won't feel it so much when another character perhaps one they love gets a new take on them that they think is not appropriate?

Careful what you wish for type thing.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #126
JosephCPR
I am da law!

Well, everything in life is a continuous change...why would be comics any different?
JosephCPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #127
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCPR View Post
Well, everything in life is a continuous change...why would be comics any different?

Yeah but a cat doesn't become a dog one day.

Characters change too much, they become something entirely different then originally intended.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #128
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

This makes me recall one of my favorite Vertigo titles... Shade the Changing Man.

He was supposed to change! LOL
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #129
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

I'm thinking Superboy or Shazam!/Captain Marvel.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #130
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
I'm thinking Superboy or Shazam!/Captain Marvel.
its a character who has not been seen in the new 52 yet
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote