Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-23-2024, 10:39 PM   #451
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsensine View Post
There might be some mindless "haters", but there are definitely also mindless "praisers", so it evens out. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Though I personally do agree that of the statutes SS has put out in the last year that I was interested in and might have bought, every single one of them had some awful thing I couldn't get over, like bizarre anatomy choice (think triple sized biceps or tiny heads/no necks) or just irredeemably odd pose. That's not being a "hater," that's just being... disappointed.
I think the apologists hurt Sideshow more than the haters. People are still waiting for Sideshow to make a mainstream, fully sculpted Batman. What we end up getting is an amalgamation of styles that don't give us any nostalgic value whatsoever.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:41 PM   #452
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I think the apologists hurt Sideshow more than the haters. People are still waiting for Sideshow to make a mainstream, fully sculpted Batman. What we end up getting is an amalgamation of styles that don't give us any nostalgic value whatsoever.
Just go with Prime 1 for Batman. They’re doing more in 1/4 scale, to add to their extensive 1/3 scale collection of Batman statues.

Though obviously they’re a bit pricey and the wait time is double.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:45 AM   #453
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsensine View Post
There might be some mindless "haters", but there are definitely also mindless "praisers", so it evens out. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Though I personally do agree that of the statutes SS has put out in the last year that I was interested in and might have bought, every single one of them had some awful thing I couldn't get over, like bizarre anatomy choice (think triple sized biceps or tiny heads/no necks) or just irredeemably odd pose. That's not being a "hater," that's just being... disappointed.
Exactly. I love Sideshow, and they make up over 60% of my collection, but this piece is just awful. It doesn't mean I hate Sideshow, it means I hate this piece.

Though, I do agree that there are both sides of the extreme here as well in people that hate everything Sideshow puts out, or certain other people that get moist in their shorts for literally every new piece Sideshow reveals.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:52 AM   #454
Bill Lehecka
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I think if you fix the head sculpt and add a swappable chest emblem, it isn’t terrible.

It does make Bats in the Eternal Enemies PF look amazing in comparison.
Bill Lehecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:39 AM   #455
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Just go with Prime 1 for Batman. They?re doing more in 1/4 scale, to add to their extensive 1/3 scale collection of Batman statues.

Though obviously they?re a bit pricey and the wait time is double.
Ya not all of us want to do 1/3rd scale just can't do it, I'm paying attention to there 1/4th. Before this I had been debating with there Rebirth or Hush Batman 1/4th, Hush seemed more inline to the kind of Batman PF I wanted. It is odd that all there Batman portraits are the same tho. Not sure who will do more 1/4th batman rogues P1 or Tweeterhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Exactly. I love Sideshow, and they make up over 60% of my collection, but this piece is just awful. It doesn't mean I hate Sideshow, it means I hate this piece.

Though, I do agree that there are both sides of the extreme here as well in people that hate everything Sideshow puts out, or certain other people that get moist in their shorts for literally every new piece Sideshow reveals.
I don't mind constructive criticism, but most folks miss that and ends up not being helpful at all. There can be two extreme's that just turn off others and scare away SS from corresponding with us. None of the companies making statues are perfect.

We are lucky to have 3 companies doing Batman's at 1/4th, if you prefer one of them that's great. Each version isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lehecka View Post
I think if you fix the head sculpt and add a swappable chest emblem, it isn?t terrible.

It does make Bats in the Eternal Enemies PF look amazing in comparison.
I agree that these things would have changed it for me to.

I still love the Eternal Scissoring PF, just to tall to fit in any display case to make it worth purchasing. But still would prefer standalone PF's since I feel it lets each character shine.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:45 AM   #456
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post

I still love the Eternal Scissoring PF,
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:49 AM   #457
Mister H
Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post

I still love the Eternal Scissoring PF, just to tall to fit in any display case to make it worth purchasing.
I'll never look at this thing the same way again. Lol. Not that I was going to order it or anything but wowsers.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:40 PM   #458
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
That's exactly it.

Many have picked on this particular Batman statue, not because they are SSC haters and have to do it, but because this one deserves the harsh criticism.

It fails on at least two levels: Firstly, expectations of fans. Batman fans have been waiting for SSC to come up with a truly worthy classic version Batman statue for such a long time and this is what they get.

Secondly, the execution. Your "amalgamation of styles that don't give us any nostalgic value whatsoever" says it all. That's one major weakness of SSC statues in general, IMO.

SSC has relied too much on the talent of their star sculptors and neglected the artworks of all the great DC artists whom their statues should have been based on faithfully.

They think they could do without them. They think their sculptors could come up with better designs and better interpretations on how Batman should look like. But they've failed to deliver over and over again.

What good classic Batman statues have they done since the Batman - Modern Age PF in 2015? To me personally, not a single one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batman modern age.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	170020   Click image for larger version

Name:	batman modern age black.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	170022  
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:07 PM   #459
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
That's exactly it.

Many have picked on this particular Batman statue, not because they are SSC haters and have to do it, but because this one deserves the harsh criticism.

It fails on at least two levels: Firstly, expectations of fans. Batman fans have been waiting for SSC to come up with a truly worthy classic version Batman statue for such a long time and this is what they get.

Secondly, the execution. Your "amalgamation of styles that don't give us any nostalgic value whatsoever" says it all. That's one major weakness of SSC statues in general, IMO.

SSC has relied too much on the talent of their star sculptors and neglected the artworks of all the great DC artists whom their statues should have been based on faithfully.

They think they could do without them. They think their sculptors could come up with better designs and better interpretations on how Batman should look like. But they've failed to deliver over and over again.

What good classic Batman statues have they done since the Batman - Modern Age PF in 2015? To me personally, not a single one.

I think the picture number 1 of the grey/blue version is the closest to what I would like to have seen.

All sculpted of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	170024  
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:07 PM   #460
Biggunz
Loki

Please cancel …