Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-10-2024, 03:53 AM   #341
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I hesitate to share such low resolution images, but they're all we have, so far. I've asked Jay for better ones.

Is it possible to find out from Jay - who the portrait is based on? Even if (especially if) the likeness is based on a non celebrity model.

I think the portrait on this piece is exceptional, even if the finish is more of a comic style finish.....which is fine, by the way.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:40 AM   #342
Shoo
Hercules

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:12 AM   #343
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I hesitate to share such low resolution images, but they're all we have, so far. I've asked Jay for better ones.

Appreciate the sneak peek, but agree want more and higher quality images all around.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:58 AM   #344
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Looks kind of Plain Jane to me. I was expecting more.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:56 AM   #345
ACalica917
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Me likely!
ACalica917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:05 AM   #346
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Looks kind of Plain Jane to me. I was expecting more.
I think that's the impact of both low quality images and (potentially) iffy paint apps.

I think the underlying portrait sculpt has huge potential - unfortunately, wasted by fairly average to middling paint apps - which is typically the case with most statues (in my opinion).

If I buy this piece, depending on price, I'd buy it as a "project" - for a full repaint and upgrade....in particular the eyes and hair.

As it is, and taking into account the image quality - I agree, it's an average piece, comparible to Sideshow / PCS.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:26 AM   #347
Iko Iko
Fantomah

The images aren't the best so it is hard to judge. However, on a 1/3 piece, you need better paints than this on the skin and face sculpt. It was my critique on the LBS Superman piece in Art's review as well.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:49 AM   #348
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think that's the impact of both low quality images and (potentially) iffy paint apps.

I think the underlying portrait sculpt has huge potential - unfortunately, wasted by fairly average to middling paint apps - which is typically the case with most statues (in my opinion).

If I buy this piece, depending on price, I'd buy it as a "project" - for a full repaint and upgrade....in particular the eyes and hair.

As it is, and taking into account the image quality - I agree, it's an average piece, comparible to Sideshow / PCS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
The images aren't the best so it is hard to judge. However, on a 1/3 piece, you need better paints than this on the skin and face sculpt. It was my critique on the LBS Superman piece in Art's review as well.
I agree on all counts with both of you. The sculpt itself is great, I just think the paintwork needs to be improved a bit. It's not bad by any means, but it also doesn't look like a $1,700 statue to me either.

I think the eyeshadow is totally fine. I think it's the lack of any shading or blush on her cheeks and the fact that her lips are completely nude, with zero color or gloss. Even some very subtle blush/shading on her cheeks and a blush pink lip with a light gloss would do wonders.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:23 PM   #349
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Putting out low res images does no favors to the artist working on this, It doesn't even really allow collectors to give a good critique.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:46 PM   #350
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Putting out low res images does no favors to the artist working on this, It doesn't even really allow collectors to give a good critique.
You're right, but I'm struggling to imagine things improving drastically with better quality photos....

Not to be a broken record, but I'd buy this for the underlying sculpture. I wish this would be a statue kit, even for the same price - it'd save me a bunch of time stripping the paint, and worrying about the glued parts.