Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-08-2024, 03:14 PM   #101
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

I dont think that Anime/Manga whatever will ever be mainstream enough to interest a company like Sideshow. It will probably always be relegated to what it already is.

Video Games tend to suffer from not having a market to go upscale and also tend to be too basic in the source material to translate well even when they do. Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, really? How about a line of Avatar while we are at it. None of those properties would translate well into more mature versions. Heck, thats one of the things that killed off SS run on Disney PF's originally. It took having JSC more risque take on the fantasy/fairytale piece to make that work/sell.

Nostalgia is what really drives this stuff, but even before the MCU this hobby existed and did ok. The hard part, and why those OG whatevers will never achieve those prices is because of how many other options continue to come to market. There is nothing particularly special about owning the first Hulk PF when it gets topped 20 other times. There is no historical value to it having come first. Heck, I have seen prices for the original Doom come way down and the first Cap now sells for peanuts. Not many new pieces gain any value. Heck, you do better with 1/6 figures which baffles me.

But that aside, what is coming to market has never been better. Its still enjoyable to collect and we are seeing some truly amazing pieces.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:25 PM   #102
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post

You can't get it, God, can you?
I mean, surely God can understand

Maybe Sideshow will simply be content to distribute anime pieces...BUT, from a business perspective, it might behoove them to consider eventually producing some. Anime has obviously become extremely popular over the last 15+ years, and as those fans get older they'll have more disposable income (theoretically) and a nostalgia factor to further fuel the anime statue/figure community.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:49 PM   #103
qz33
Baron Zemo

Oh I'm here but it's a busy day.

Anime fans are a bit cultist. In my experience they are often trying to convert others to share their passion or persuade its relevance.
Same with video games. A lot of attempts to try to refute stereotypes.

Anime just does not fit Sideshow's cachet.
Prime 1 has done very well with it. I love their Guyvers and 1/3 Guts. Outside of Berserk I can't really see much else having a significant enough following that would also fit Sideshow's style for it to be worth them doing. Should Sideshow take on Berserk? Definitely not.

I think Tbolt really hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
I dont think that Anime/Manga whatever will ever be mainstream enough to interest a company like Sideshow. It will probably always be relegated to what it already is.

Video Games tend to suffer from not having a market to go upscale and also tend to be too basic in the source material to translate well even when they do. Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, really? How about a line of Avatar while we are at it. None of those properties would translate well into more mature versions. Heck, thats one of the things that killed off SS run on Disney PF's originally. It took having JSC more risque take on the fantasy/fairytale piece to make that work/sell.

Nostalgia is what really drives this stuff, but even before the MCU this hobby existed and did ok. The hard part, and why those OG whatevers will never achieve those prices is because of how many other options continue to come to market. There is nothing particularly special about owning the first Hulk PF when it gets topped 20 other times. There is no historical value to it having come first. Heck, I have seen prices for the original Doom come way down and the first Cap now sells for peanuts. Not many new pieces gain any value. Heck, you do better with 1/6 figures which baffles me.

But that aside, what is coming to market has never been better. Its still enjoyable to collect and we are seeing some truly amazing pieces.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:02 PM   #104
God
Frackin!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
I mean, surely God can understand

Maybe Sideshow will simply be content to distribute anime pieces...BUT, from a business perspective, it might behoove them to consider eventually producing some. Anime has obviously become extremely popular over the last 15+ years, and as those fans get older they'll have more disposable income (theoretically) and a nostalgia factor to further fuel the anime statue/figure community.
Ah, I understand.

My goal is not to persuade forps, but to understand his viewpoints more.

I found it interesting to consider how certain sculptors may affect our perceptions on things. For example, in the case of forps, it seems that there is a strong praise for certain sculptors such as Martin Canale.

If Martin sculpted characters from these different subjects, I would be quite curious on the reaction to it.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:08 PM   #105
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Ah, I understand.

My goal is not to persuade forps, but to understand his viewpoints more.

I found it interesting to consider how certain sculptors may affect our perceptions on things. For example, in the case of forps, it seems that there is a strong praise for certain sculptors such as Martin Canale.

If Martin sculpted characters from these different subjects, I would be quite curious on the reaction to it.

Dear God. With all due respect due to your Godlike status, leave Master Martin out of anime.

Let's strike a deal, anime guys.

In order to end this beef with anime weirdos...sorry, anime fans (lol), we'll strike a deal.

We'll give you 1 Sideshow's artist. He is only going to sculpt anime pieces and nothing else.
You are going to leave us alone cause we all know that anime fans are something like a cult, like crazy Tr cultist voters (lol).

Who might that sculptor be ? Who?

My heart hurts, but we'll give you Daniel Bel. From now on, Daniel Bel is going to only sculpt anime/manga pieces! We win, you lose....Oops sorry. I meant, we lose, you win.

(qz33, Tbolt, BurningRage, IcedDog, we are partying tonight, my good old friends. No more Daniel Bel's male Marvel/DC abominations. Party time!!!)
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:52 PM   #106
KiDD
Mephisto

Daniel Bel is okay, Canale is the one who has lost his touch with his latest Batman PF. The proportions are whack and the face looks ridiculous.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:07 PM   #107
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post
Daniel Bel is okay, Canale is the one who has lost his touch with his latest Batman PF. The proportions are whack and the face looks ridiculous.
Ok, Kid (d). Deal. We keep Canale, you get Bel.

Now we all lost countless of hours talking anime and after the 937th derailment of this thread due to anime fans, back to real statue talk.

I'll again repeat the following

Sideshow is crazy hot atm. She restarts the COTD, produces 3 excellent Star Wars pieces, reveals new magnificent Marvel/DC statues etc.

Nevertheless, she should be cautious.

The edition sizes are going to be small. The market is struggling.

Her aim should be to KO the competition, to suffocate them by "concentrating" all collector's money like a vacuum.

Costs must be under control, new hires only for select people (eg Andy Bergholtz if he wants to come back), NO CONS for the time being (cons are for Tubers wandering all day around Sideshow's booth to make videos and lives hoping to get viral or to get views/money. Cons are LOSS-MAKING for Sideshow).

No enthusiasm yet.

Sideshow has the competition where she wants it to be. At the corner while she punches it relentlessly. But she must be clever and not overextend herself for the time being.
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:25 PM   #108
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post
Canale is just going to ruin Constantine, I can feel it.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:03 PM   #109
MPCanes
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Really hope not, been looking forward to that and Weapon X.
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 01:19 AM   #110
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
He?s not who would have been my first choice to take on the character. It?s a piece I?m interested in ordering if it comes out good, but a character I can live without.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote