Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-09-2024, 03:59 AM   #111
KiDD
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Sideshow has the competition where she wants it to be. At the corner while she punches it relentlessly. But she must be clever and not overextend herself for the time being.
"Back to real statue talk" and then it's this again? What is there to discuss? I get it that you are fanboying over Sideshow hard, but when one company "KO's" the rest of the competition that's the (beginning of the) end for the hobby. Also, I'm pretty sure Sideshow's a he.

I got to say that you talk real pretty about your favourite sculptors though, coming up with god-puns of their names on your free time and such, it's pretty cute. I don't judge, quite the contrary actually, but it just reminded me of my sister and her boyband phase back in the day.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:30 AM   #112
Straken-SWE
The X-Men

No competition is obviosly never a good thing, ever.

A boyband phase! Feels like its the truth to me
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 08:43 AM   #113
PCS_Sagat_Buyer
Mephisto

Sideshow is the only company where people shout out sculptors. You dont see anyone else going, that XM piece is great because of Alvaro Ribeiro, or that Iron Studio piece is great because of Tiago Rios. But Sideshow is Harbottle this, Canale, that, Daniel Bel, blah blah. I don't care if my geriatric aunt Sue sculpted it. Just make it good. And honestly, I'd love it if we went back to traditional hand sculpted pieces instead of 3D renders with a magic pencil, that showed true talent.
PCS_Sagat_Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:20 AM   #114
Onewiththeforce
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I personally think that Sideshow does the best portraits in the business. Especially when it comes to females.

just my opinion.
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:24 AM   #115
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS_Sagat_Buyer View Post
Sideshow is the only company where people shout out sculptors. You dont see anyone else going, that XM piece is great because of Alvaro Ribeiro, or that Iron Studio piece is great because of Tiago Rios. But Sideshow is Harbottle this, Canale, that, Daniel Bel, blah blah. I don't care if my geriatric aunt Sue sculpted it. Just make it good. And honestly, I'd love it if we went back to traditional hand sculpted pieces instead of 3D renders with a magic pencil, that showed true talent.
You are only saying that because XM doesnt have anyone of note any longer. Because that was all anybody heard when they had the K Bros and Daniel Bel.

I do agree with your point about traditional sculpting. I am guessing the time savings is so immense with Zbrush that even the holdouts had to learn that technique instead.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #116
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken-SWE View Post
No competition is obviosly never a good thing, ever.

A boyband phase! Feels like its the truth to me
Disagree. Too many producers are what drove prices through the roof so fast. The problem is the production side, there are only so many factories. It would be different if they were all producing these in house but that is not how it works. They are all going down the same production lines. Heck, ARH had to start up an entire production facility and train people in Brazil or whatever to try and come back because they could no longer afford to get pieces made in China with so many other companies outbidding them on production capacity.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:35 AM   #117
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

SS is doing what they are enjoying to do right now Comics/Sci-fi/Fantasy/horror/noir movie based statues, every now and then maybe some video games. I think they are happy with what they are doing and we have been pretty loyal to keep buying so they don't have to change right at the moment.

The market will change tho, while they will always probably make what they always have. Anime/video games are billion dollar industries so I can't see them not eventually diversifying.

Just because Frops doesn't like the competition doesn't mean they haven't served there purpose on making SS better, and making them try more (hence the larger height statues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post
I personally think that Sideshow does the best portraits in the business. Especially when it comes to females.

just my opinion.
Not just your opinion, I think the same overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Disagree. Too many producers are what drove prices through the roof so fast. The problem is the production side, there are only so many factories. It would be different if they were all producing these in house but that is not how it works. They are all going down the same production lines. Heck, ARH had to start up an entire production facility and train people in Brazil or whatever to try and come back because they could no longer afford to get pieces made in China with so many other companies outbidding them on production capacity.
It was a lot of customs that did that l because they were seeing folks spending 1,000-2,000 for small ES sculpts of characters. Collectors kept buying up every time they saw a "cool" concept only to turn out way to big. To the point where there now is so much garbage customs that folks can't unload.

Last edited by moyiori; 05-09-2024 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:41 AM   #118
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Ilmao…Sideshow let the competition stroke them for the last 10 years
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:47 AM   #119
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS_Sagat_Buyer View Post
you make it sound like a bad thing? all artists should be given credit and celebrated when their work is appreciated. people are more familiar with their artists because SS has a core group that they spotlight with videos and social media events. also a lot of their sculptors have fan bases from previous works whether it be with SS, a different company or even fan art (including Tiago Rios, ive seen people mention they were excited to see him involved with the pcs turtles and the stuff he did for iron studios)

as for traditional sculpting, its always nice to see but there are many benefits to companies going the digital route. its much MUCH easier to make changes whether it be directed in house or by the licensor, the level of detail you can achieve that people come to expect now specifically with textures and the ease of sending a digital file anywhere in the world versus shipping a large hard copy. xm infamously lost their first gladiator hulk that was traditionally sculpted by troy mcdevitt somewhere during shipping. digital just makes so much more sense from a business perspective but i still do love seeing some traditional pieces when anybody does them
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:30 AM   #120
PCS_Sagat_Buyer
Mephisto

I mean, its a statue of an X-Men, not a Picasso. I love this hobby, but its like going to Wal-mart, buying a toy and asking...who was the guy who did the mold for this, or buying a new Audi and saying, whoa....Luc Donckerwolke really outdid himself with this car. I'd be OK going through life without someone typing 'Godbottle', again.
PCS_Sagat_Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote