Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #61
modus
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

I buy the characters I like but I also appreciate great work so I'll spring for those occasionally.

I love Aayla Secura but I can't pull the trigger on that piece. On the flip side I know very little about Vampirella and Skaar and I bought those pieces without blinking.
modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #62
Old Man Logan
U talkin' to me?

So any of you guys just into the hobby mainly for the flip? The guessing game of which piece will skyrocket and triple in price?
Old Man Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #63
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
That was just a joke by the way............
I didn't think otherwise.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #64
modus
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Logan View Post
So any of you guys just into the hobby mainly for the flip? The guessing game of which piece will skyrocket and triple in price?
I'm not in the hobby to flip but I would be lying if I didn't say I like the fact most of my statues will lose at most 25% of their value and more often than not will increase over time.

I still collect comic books for the love of them but most them are next to worthless two minutes after purchase. Statues are a refreshing change to that.
modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #65
Nitefall
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzrok View Post
I collect what I like, as long everyone else likes it also. I like to think I am not influenced strongly by others =]
You aren't. You are influenced only by your decision about how others feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no gears View Post
I got into this hobby or obsession just by wanting a couple cool movie pieces for my dream theater room and stumbled onto sideshow looking for those pieces. Well that was the end for me and i got lots of movie pieces then marvel pieces and then dead pieces. Now i got this big collection and with so many pieces coming on order i still forget why i started all this and i couldnt care less. But man i wish i woulda bought the big giant tv first

Makes sense to me.
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #66
nemesisenforcer
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

For me, eventhough I do not know much about the character I would buy it if the statue looks attractive to me.
nemesisenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #67
Vracula
Jedi Order

I dont have the space or the money so I just buy Sideshow.Charachters are important at this stage.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #68
Loops
Kindly Asked To Leave

I started collecting because I wanted a cool Hellboy statue (I bought SS Hellboy 2 PF). I continued to collect the statues I liked the look of (Ones I found interesting or unique), as well as characters I like (Although I still have to like the look of the statue).
Loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #69
tripletn@mac.co
Shadowhawk

I started collecting statues when the hobby was first starting out in the days of the Randy Bowen Batman, etc. I started getting everything I could find in the vein of statues, busts, and model kits. There was a fantastic store in NYC off of Bleecker St. called Village Comics that had all the new and best kits and statues. I just bought anything that appealed to me. Over the last 8 years, I've only been collecting Batman statues, busts and kits, as I really only care about that character and his universe. I'm currently in the process of selling off the rest of the collection as they deserve a better home than sitting in a box in a basement. It all came down to this being an extremely expensive hobby to maintain, especially being a completist, and sometime fanatic over one character, realizing it's better to have a theme in my collection than complete randomness. I would love to collect Star Wars for example, but it's not the end of the world, and I'm very happy with my collection of over 200 Batman statues, busts, etc. There are a few exceptions however. I have a beautifully painted Randy Bowen Dark Horse Frankenstein statue/kit that I love for very personal reasons that make this particular piece relatable to/for me. He's chained to a chair and struggling, and I find that very metaphorical to how I felt for many years in my life. He's made up of many different parts/there are many sides to me, he's in chains/ I felt held back and misunderstood, He's trying to find himself, etc, etc. Also, the Dark Horse Predator 1 and Predator 2 Kits aren't going anytime soon. Also, at what point in your collecting do you say 'enough', or can stop?
tripletn@mac.co is offline   Reply With Quote