Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I have a theme for sure - All Hulk All the Time!

I do not get people who buy statues who have no idea who that character is. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Art is a subjective love affair, trying to quantify it is a hard thing to do. For instance take my love for Spider-Man. I collect the books, watched the cartoon and movies, had the lunch box, heck I even had the underoos. There is a personal interest in this character that goes way back. Yet, I will never own any of the statues. I would rather own a female statue of a character from a movie/comic/painting that I have no personal interest in other than the sheer beauty of the female body (when done right). Then there is the flip side of that. I love the grotesque and twisted horror of the macabre, and again it can be from any source and any character, known or unknown so long as it appeals to my personal taste. I can look at art and appreciate the fundamental attraction based on how it resonates within me. Knowledge of the subject is not required.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
Old Man Logan
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
Art is a subjective love affair, trying to quantify it is a hard thing to do. For instance take my love for Spider-Man. I collect the books, watched the cartoon and movies, had the lunch box, heck I even had the underoos. There is a personal interest in this character that goes way back. Yet, I will never own any of the statues. I would rather own a female statue of a character from a movie/comic/painting that I have no personal interest in other than the sheer beauty of the female body (when done right). Then there is the flip side of that. I love the grotesque and twisted horror of the macabre, and again it can be from any source and any character, known or unknown so long as it appeals to my personal taste. I can look at art and appreciate the fundamental attraction based on how it resonates within me. Knowledge of the subject is not required.
Well put
Old Man Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
bullhuh
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Personally no matter how good a piece looks unless I have some attachment the character I can not pull the trigger (esp with how much these figures go for). Its a matter of $$ for me.
bullhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
Rocket
Art of Mod

I have never, and will never buy a statue or any collectable, that I have no personal or emotional connection to
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
jye318
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Both, I don't really know many character , but when I saw it, I like it, I buy it.
jye318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Only characters that were in the comics that i read, mainly from the silver age.
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #27
Spazzy
Hercules

I used to buy what looked cool, didn't matter the character but found that I was selling those first, now I am trying to get just what I like because I can't afford the other stuff as much anymore, once in awhile a piece that I have little interest in the character pops up and I will bite, but really try to be selective and it has to be an amazing piece.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
I'm right with you. Whatever I buy has a lot to do with the female form (I have two detolfs with only CS Moore ladies). That said I bought LOTR statues because of knowledge of the characters -only the bad guys though-and I bought Lara Croft for the same reason. But, I know nothing about Ghost Rider and still bought the western version. And I know nothing of Ms Marvel or Psylocke or Elektra or Mystique but I still own at least one SS version of the characters. Come to think of it I own mostly females. But everyone should have a Zombie or two in their collection. :-)
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
Y3E
Gen 13

My original desire was to buy only female statues but after seeing many great pieces of the non-female variety I decided to buy what I liked statue-wise and not character-wise. For example, Superman is my all time favorite comic book hero but I have yet to buy one his statues. I'm hoping the SS PF will be my first. Although, I admit, I still have more female statues than anything else.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #30
protector2814
Phoenix

I only collect statues I've loved in comics or books.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote