Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-08-2024, 12:12 PM   #91
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I get a bit of a TRUMP-lecture vibe when Forbs uses 'gazillion', 'whackos' and 'Artsy fartsy'..

But I am prob one of the 'Casuals', even though i can spot potential good sideshow statues (PO) within 5 sec too. I avoided the most disappointing versions.
Me? Tr? The COMPLETE opposite. Better search "influencers" also believing in conspiracy theories and then having a channel talking about crazy stuff before 1 of them abandoned ship (though something tells me that if Tr wins elections, he is going to reunite with the other guy again and repeat crazy conspiracy stuff).

So what is your opinion of Sideshow's latest statues?
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:21 PM   #92
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Where'd Divo go?
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #93
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
Whatever side of the fence you are on, there's no question that Forps knows how to incite a delicious forum conversation. I get what he's saying about 'anime' but that is one genre of anime type/looking statue. Not to be confused with the more main stream anime, like Bleach, Demon Slayer, Pokemon,
Berserk, etc
grphyx1, my friend. You also know a lot and probably a whole lot regarding what is happening in the hobby.

I am though used to the constant attacks.

I had an ENTIRE ONLINE ARMY of XM pushers coming after me, the old days,
when everyone and their mother got "freebies" (you get me, don't you?) as long as they hyped XM and bashed Sideshow.

There are a lot of "agendas" around this hobby. It is not the right time to discuss them or we can talk about it privately (not with you, though. Sorry).

Facebook is full of pushing, of salivating over companies, of hyping, of companies' agendas being pressed onto collectors. Tube is worse. WAY WORSE.

Forps came and slightly began to expose various "agendas". You get that "hurting sales" or hurting pushing or "hurting egos" is not a good thing. People get mad. People get angry.

Then MIRACOUSLY one dude "searches" and MIRACOUSLY again finds an old, ~1y thread. He MIRACOUSLY again resurrects it and MIRACOUSLY again demands for a ban.

grphyx1.

You know it and i know it
(Skip Bayless-style).

Sideshow knows what happened the last 10y. THIS is the reason i want Sideshow to CUT ANY CONNECTION with any "influencer".

Other companies (it all started with XM) created a MONSTER.

Sideshow must also clean the mess. Time for INTEGRITY.

No "freebies", no "visits", no pushing/hyping. ZERO. NADA.

Prime1,Infinity, Blitzway, ECC, PCS should also unite in this effort cause this also hurts them in the long run. True collectors want INTEGRITY back.

They also want other collectors to be free to express their opinions online. The amount of bans or collectors getting expelled cause they DARED to challenge an "influencer" is crazy.

A monster has been created.

Forps is here for the collector being oppressed, being humiliated, being cornered, being FED UP by companies or "influencers" agendas being pressed down his throat.

Sugarcoating ends here.

We are going to CLEAN UP THE MESS in this hobby, once and for all.

One of the two reasons i love Sideshow is this. INTEGRITY. The other is ART
Old 05-08-2024, 02:04 PM   #94
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
Sideshow will at some point need to diversify away from just DC/Marvel/Star Wars. What that could be? Anime, Video Games,
As far as video games, Sideshow will need to do much better than those Witcher statues they released.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #95
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Where'd Divo go?
Forps is probably his other personality. Or, one of.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:22 PM   #96
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
Yep. One thing is clear, while Forps has the artsy eye, he lacks the long term vision eye (equating anime with hentai is weird. Tons of comic book fans clamor for sexy girl statues). Sideshow will at some point need to diversify away from just DC/Marvel/Star Wars. What that could be? Anime, Video Games, movie/TV (a return to the roots), originals (COTD/monsters), etc.

Are there creepy anime statues? Of course. Are there creepy non anime statues? Yes, a lot. If a weirdo wants it, they'll find it.

Funny how the hurting companies (Prime 1, XM, etc) are all big DC/Marvel shops where ones that are video game/anime first (First4Figures, Tsume, Figurama) seem to be hitting their stride...

Don't worry Forps, those with the artful eye can also develop the long term vision!

Nope. I've explained why you are wrong.

Star Wars is a category of its own. It has nearly 3 generations of fandom. It constantly creates new fans (e.g. the Mandalorian with Grogu made new fans). It also has CRAZY collectors. Deep-pocketed collectors, multi-millionaires cause nearly all of tech geeks are Star Wars fans.

Star Wars collections are also classy due to the underlying art (i don't want to write an essay here. Just compare the Mythos Obi-Wan with any Dragonball statue. DBZ instantly, INSTANTLY, due to its colours, due to the faces, due to its childish vibe, CANNOT be taken seriously).

Marvel also had MCU.

MCU turned an underground geek thing (comic-related characters) into mainstream by giving them relatable human form. I can also write an essay but i am bored.

DC needs a revamped DCU to create new fandom.

These 3 licenses are the ONLY licenses that are going to be here 100y going forward. Star Wars has proven this, Marvel/DC also.

Video games come and go. They also don't translate well into the "big screen"
where a saga can be turned into a mainstream universe due to multiple reasons. I am again bored to explain it all.

Anime/manga is well...laughable. No man/woman over 30y old is going to take such stuff seriously (only loners/weirdos). I can't take seriously any man collecting DBZ, my friend. NOONE does. Even STORE OWNERS laugh at guys collecting such stuff. Although only when these weirdos are not present so as to not offend them, lol. And i know 4 store owners. They say the exact same thing about guys being 30-40y old and collecting DBZ or Pokemon or some weird , creapy stuff with little.... Do you believe that they don't know their clientele?

So you are telling me that Sideshow should assign Will Harbottle, f..ing Will Godbottle with sculpting a Dragonball toy...sorry statue?

Godfilova to sculpt Goku?

GodCanale to sculpt One Piece?

I am going to throw up!

Are we f....g NUTS? Are we going to WASTE SUCH TALENTS by sculpting Dragonball Z cr..p?

OVER OUR DEAD A-R-T-S-Y BODIES, pal.

Old 05-08-2024, 02:50 PM   #97
God
Frackin!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Nope. I've explained why you are wrong.

Star Wars is a category of its own. It has nearly 3 generations of fandom. It constantly creates new fans (e.g. the Mandalorian with Grogu made new fans). It also has CRAZY collectors. Deep-pocketed collectors, multi-millionaires cause nearly all of tech geeks are Star Wars fans.

Star Wars collections are also classy due to the underlying art (i don't want to write an essay here. Just compare the Mythos Obi-Wan with any Dragonball statue. DBZ instantly, INSTANTLY, due to its colours, due to the faces, due to its childish vibe, CANNOT be taken seriously).

Marvel also had MCU.

MCU turned an underground geek thing (comic-related characters) into mainstream by giving them relatable human form. I can also write an essay but i am bored.

DC needs a revamped DCU to create new fandom.

These 3 licenses are the ONLY licenses that are going to be here 100y going forward. Star Wars has proven this, Marvel/DC also.

Video games come and go. They also don't translate well into the "big screen"
where a saga can be turned into a mainstream universe due to multiple reasons. I am again bored to explain it all.

Anime/manga is well...laughable. No man/woman over 30y old is going to take such stuff seriously (only loners/weirdos). I can't take seriously any man collecting DBZ, my friend. NOONE does. Even STORE OWNERS laugh at guys collecting such stuff. Although only when these weirdos are not present so as to not offend them, lol. And i know 4 store owners. They say the exact same thing about guys being 30-40y old and collecting DBZ or Pokemon or some weird , creapy stuff with little.... Do you believe that they don't know their clientele?

So you are telling me that Sideshow should assign Will Harbottle, f..ing Will Godbottle with sculpting a Dragonball toy...sorry statue?

Godfilova to sculpt Goku?

GodCanale to sculpt One Piece?

I am going to throw up!

Are we f....g NUTS? Are we going to WASTE SUCH TALENTS by sculpting Dragonball Z cr..p?

Hm, I think that is where your perspective could change if you were to see these new interpretations from artists at Sideshow (hypothetically speaking).

Many statues from anime / manga are similarly designed with adding as much things as possible, though there is room for someone to challenge this methodology by presenting a new take. Often I find that it can simply take just one person or entity to try something different and bring about fresh ideas.

I don't think it would be wasted talent for Sideshow. After all, it would be an opportunity to showcase their talents beyond the usual subjects.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:57 PM   #98
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Anime/manga is well...laughable. No man/woman over 30y old is going to take such stuff seriously (only loners/weirdos).
i honestly dont care one way or the other but i think its pretty nuts to write off entire genre because of how you think other people feel about it or those who are fans of it. that said, what would you say about this JND one piece statue? i am no JND fanboy, dont follow a lot of anime or manga too closely (except berserk) and have never seen this show but this is one of the nicest statues ive ever seen (from pictures). i have issues with a lot of JND stuff but this thing is next level imo

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:57 PM   #99
garon13
Doh!

I see you've explained why you disagree I see no facts of why someone was "wrong". I see NorthernLadMSP joked Forps is DIVO's other personality but I've thought for years now they are the same people and paid by sideshow. Why get this worked up over a hobby with diversity and options?

I don't have data to actualize but I feel most of us collecting are comic fans from the 80's and 90's (again I could be wrong) 10-20 years from now what's the trend? video games do 184bn in rev vs 26bn for movies and music each. Comic books are 2bn; trends change, I'm happy I get multiple companies doling out characters in different versions that I can select the one I prefer.
garon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:03 PM   #100
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Hm, I think that is where your perspective could change if you were to see these new interpretations from artists at Sideshow (hypothetically speaking).

Many statues from anime / manga are similarly designed with adding as much things as possible, though there is room for someone to challenge this methodology by presenting a new take. Often I find that it can simply take just one person or entity to try something different and bring about fresh ideas.

I don't think it would be wasted talent for Sideshow. After all, it would be an opportunity to showcase their talents beyond the usual subjects.

No, having Godbottle, Godfilova, GodPhillips, GodCanale, GodPeterson, GodNewman, GodSchumacher sculpt Dragonball or One Piece is the EPITOME of wasting immense talents sculpting childish statues.

Ok, using mixed media MIGHT elevate some anime pieces, adding REALISM, might reduce the toy-ish vibe they ooze.

Maybe that crazy bases looking like hot mess (anime bases remind me of Prime1's. They throw everything and their mother there) can be reduced to more classy ones.

Nevertheless, the UNDERLYING art is always going to look childish.

You can't get it, God, can you?

You can try to make a Dragonball statue not looking like a toy, like a toy for children aged 5-6y old, use some mixed media to add realism, make more classy bases, but STILL the underlying art is SOOOOOO GOOFY and childish looking that you CANT elevate such sculpts to ever being seen for anything more toys for 5y old children.

Star Wars? You have Alec, you have Ewan, you have Mark etc. You have an IMMENSE universe of characters, you have planets, environments, clothes, robes etc.

Sorry, my friend.

You can have JND or Prime 1 sculpting anime/manga pieces. Their "talent" is better suited for anime stuff.

Harbottle, Panfilova, Phillips, Canale, Peterson, Newman, Schumacher should be left to sculpt Star Wars/Marvel/DC

Or original pieces and lines like COTD, the new Vampire lady, Sin PFF etc

Prime1 should try getting into more art(s)y manga pieces like the 2 from Berserk. Prime 1 is better suited as a company for anime/manga and video games statues. A 3rd or 4th tier statue producer.

Sideshow's artists are a treasure. We are not going to waste their talents on Dragonball, One Piece and other stuff for 5y old kids.

PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION. Let's move to something else. Not again anime, i can't. Anime, anime, anime, anime. qz33, where are you, my friend?