Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-04-2024, 10:09 AM   #31
67L88Stingray
Alpha Flight

Sideshow has been left in the dust, stop living in the past...
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 10:17 AM   #32
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Ok, ok. Do you still collect that Dino-paleontological museum cr.p?

I have 73 Prime 1 statues, over 80 LSBs (nearly all of Infinity ones, Queen ones, ECC ones), i have JND pieces, but Sideshow is STILL the best. The most art(s)y pieces i own are from Sideshow.

Infinity Studios ones are beautiful, they are marvellous, having excellent likeness, but they are simply copies of an actor/actress likeness. The same applies to Queen or JND pieces.

Sideshow's pieces are the EPITOME of artsy statues.

But you can't "get" it, so why to argue?
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:04 AM   #33
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Thank you, my friend.

I remember you from my thread "Sideshow's Mount Rushmore".

Ohh and mind you. Many guys agree with me but are afraid to express their opinion due to herd mentality ("Prime1 is the best", "Sideshow sucks") or due to some Tubers promoting other companies cause Sideshow is NEGLECTING them. I love Sideshow giving ZERO F...S about Tubers. I love her! The same applies to Prime1, also neglecting Tubers.

The need to concentrate on anime/manga and video games stuff for Prime 1 along with movie pieces in collaboration with Blitzway (although i want Sideshow to try and get Blitzway to work with her) is obvious. I bet that even Prime1's executives can see that Sideshow is no longer kidding and all of collector's money heads to Sideshow that combines EXCELLENT new sculpts with affordability.

Prime1 should not be stubborn. Her ego is hurt cause they thought that they were the best, collectors were praising them (average Joes correlating size to artistic value) and it is difficult to admit that Sideshow is KOing her atm.

Pride though has nothing to do with business logic. Prime1 should not try to compete with Sideshow in Marvel/DC. This battle is over.

XM lost it, LBS is losing it, Prime cannot win it.

Sideshow is the Queen of western comic-related statues. Period.

Move on, Prime1. Protect your business and concentrate in aspects where you are good, in your "niche" markets.

2024's Sideshow is something like prime Goldberg. Unbeatable!
Forps! Your logic here is inescapable. Hopefully the Prime1 apologists will realize error of their ways and their faulty perception of the company.

Prime1 product: A
Prime1 Everything Else: F-

This is why Prime1 is a C- company, and that?s being generous.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:24 AM   #34
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
Forps! Your logic here is inescapable. Hopefully the Prime1 apologists will realize error of their ways and their faulty perception of the company.

Prime1 product: A
Prime1 Everything Else: F-

This is why Prime1 is a C- company, and that?s being generous.
blovelace = in the small group of guys having an art(s)y eye. Along with gz33, BurningRage.

blovelace, Prime1's sculpts look like inflated action figures. They are lifeless and they look like a software designed all of them.

They are simply BIG. Nothing else.

Check that Joker vs Batman diorama 1/3. What a monstrosity! It gives a so strong PLASTICKY, TOY-ISH vibe, it is ridiculous.

Or Joker 1/3 Say Cheese. What is that base? This is like a 20 bucks plastic, oversized toy.

Batman who laughs 1/3? An ABOMINATION. A brute, unrefined sculpt being painted as if someone threw a bucket of black paint all over it.

Lobo 1/3? An ABOMINATION.

Compare these monstrosities with Sideshow's BWL PFF, a MASTERPIECE. Refined, clean lines, artistic takes, a pose with an attitude, a perfect paint job.

Or OG Lobo PFF. A masterpiece.

Or the new Joker vs Batman Diorama by Sideshow. Night and day.

blovelace, they are "kids", average Joes. Their eyes only see or watch. They cannot analyze, go in depth and admire art. They correlate size to value.

My example of Mona Lisa and 100% of average Joes in this hobby is perfect

"wow, dude. This painting is toooooo small. Prime1 would paint a bigger one...This one is small. Da Vinci sucks, dude".

Nevertheless, ART always wins in the end.

Time for Prime 1 to admit her defeat, give us a last 1/3 DC piece (Hush Catwoman) and concentrate on her "niche". Anime/manga and video games statues.

She can have major success there cause manga/anime and video games guys are even MORE clueless about art. They are weirdos, whackos or social awkward guys. To them also size = value.

MISSED YOU, my friend. Missed you.

"Forps artsy eye team, ASSEMBLE"
Old 05-04-2024, 11:45 AM   #35
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Thank God, Sideshow did not allow this. Then we would have a gazillion PLASTICKY looking, full of GLOSSY paint, atrocious looking Marvel 1/3.

That lack any soul, that are lifeless and that could be created by a software.

I know that casuals get excited with Prime 1 because they correlate size to quality.
this is the definition of throwing a grenade then walking away lol

horrible generalization, prime1 has hits and misses just like any other brand. Overall their quality especially the face paints are way better than sideshow.

I agree some of the pieces are plasticy and anime like, lacking soul, but others like jungle pred, hush superman etc.. are leagues above anything sideshow can make.

Also not all "plasticy" are bad, look at what weta is able to achieve even on 1/6 scale using "plastcy" for face on their classic gandalf / bilbo etc..it's life like vs traditional paint on polystone.

I think if prime1 gets marvel license they will have many grail releases, and that's probably the reason sideshow refuse to share the license in fear of competition.

Been a collector for almost 15 years now, but i guess i am just a "casual", my only real complaint across all prime1 pieces are their completely unnecessary oversized base, majority of their pieces whether 1/4 or 1/3 could have a much smaller base to make displaying multiple pieces / large collection realistic in a normal house, and quite bit cheaper on shipping... but they just continue to make those bases the size of a god damn coffee table on every release. For me the base size is the limiting factor why i dont buy many prime1 pieces.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:34 PM   #36
BiaLos
Fantastic Four

Trying to be rational here without emotionally attached or biased to either SS or P1.

I have a mixture of statues but the majority of my collection is SS and P1.

I believe both companies can produce great pieces. I've been floored by some on how great the production piece came to me, and I've also been disappointed by both.

P1 hurts more when I'm disappointed due to the cost increase of both the statue and shipping though.

SS on the other hand doesn't hurt as bad because I know 100% if I'm dissatisfied with it enough, I can easily return it.

That's a knock on their or lack there of P1's support, it's just not comparable to SS's.

Again with that said both have their home runs. SS has very experienced sculptors that have done many different statues, and I think that's where the "artsy/creativeness" is greater. They just take more risks overall. Not that it's always a good thing or paid off.

While P1 recently has probably released more statues than any other company in the last five years, it's easier target the failures and disappointments people have. Lets face it though, they have some really nice pieces that a lot of us will never fully see nor appreciate though due to the amount of space that's needed to display/collect them.

I can go on being rational and giving more 2cents, but at the end none of this is 100%, it's just my humble opinions.
BiaLos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:36 PM   #37
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
this is the definition of throwing a grenade then walking away lol

horrible generalization, prime1 has hits and misses just like any other brand. Overall their quality especially the face paints are way better than sideshow.

I agree some of the pieces are plasticy and anime like, lacking soul, but others like jungle pred, hush superman etc.. are leagues above anything sideshow can make.

Also not all "plasticy" are bad, look at what weta is able to achieve even on 1/6 scale using "plastcy" for face on their classic gandalf / bilbo etc..it's life like vs traditional paint on polystone.

I think if prime1 gets marvel license they will have many grail releases, and that's probably the reason sideshow refuse to share the license in fear of competition.

Been a collector for almost 15 years now, but i guess i am just a "casual", my only real complaint across all prime1 pieces are their completely unnecessary oversized base, majority of their pieces whether 1/4 or 1/3 could have a much smaller base to make displaying multiple pieces / large collection realistic in a normal house, and quite bit cheaper on shipping... but they just continue to make those bases the size of a god damn coffee table on every release. For me the base size is the limiting factor why i dont buy many prime1 pieces.
gagaliya, you are on the forum for years and i respect your opinion. Nevertheless, having an "eye" for art is something a handful of people possess.

If anyone could "smell" what is good art or not, what is going to be a hit or not, then all art people would be millionaires discovering the next talent.

I mentioned this "test", this "exam" last year. REGARDLESS of size, go online or go to your collection and check Prime1's Batman who Laughs 1/3 and then Sideshow's BWL PFF.

If you don't have them in your collection, go check online photos of the ACTUAL products.

Now, leave aside their SIZE difference.

Give yourself 2 minutes to analyze the sculpts and the details.

Voila!!!!

Your eye after some time can easily see why Sideshow's one is artsy whereas Prime1's is an ABOMINATION.

Do the same with Prime1's Lobo 1/3 vs OG Lobo PFF by Sideshow.

Train your eyes to not only see and watch but to analyze, to discern, to go into the depth and details of a sculpt or a paint job.

You can do it!

gz33 can, BurningRage can, blovedlace can. You also can.

Take your time though!
Old 05-04-2024, 01:50 PM   #38
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Prime 1 would have no problem staying in business if they would offer more 1:4 scale statues with a price point comparable to that of Sideshow Premium Format statues.

It might mean that they would have to keep their sculpts and bases simple, with more museum poses for example. It would be a welcomed direction.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 06:33 PM   #39
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
I genuinely can't recall any sideshow releases in years, I guess they stopped catering to my interests though which is mainly Alien and Predator. Sideshow have ZERO hope of matching what Prime 1 are doing with those licenses anyway so I don't blame them for not bothering.

Regarding the topic in question, I must admit that I often wonder how Prime 1 manage to pump out great looking statues so frequently. But they seem to manage somehow. For all of their scummy business practices, and price gouging, I have to admire them for their ambition at times. They make whatever they want to make, seemingly regardless of whether it's likely to even recoup the investment. Who else would ever have offered a 1/3 (even larger actually) Chopper Predator? Prime 1 did, I definitely won't be paying ?5k for it (Or any of them as much as I'd like them) But I love them for making it regardless. Now if they could just put the breaks on a little, slow the pace to allow us all to keep up financially, and sort out their shipping costs they might actually raise some of those tiny ES numbers.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:51 PM   #40
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

What is with you people seriously responding to this lunatic. You're all nuts.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote