Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-04-2024, 07:19 PM   #521
SparkyMW
Fantastic Four

I really don't get the dislike some people have for this statue. I have seen a lot of hulk sculpts and a lot of bad faces, I think the classic Hulk of this statue is dynamite. Has that perfect savage hulk look, reminiscent of the Buscema/Byrne days with a touch of the 80s cartoon thrown in.
SparkyMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 08:22 PM   #522
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyMW View Post
I really don't get the dislike some people have for this statue. I have seen a lot of hulk sculpts and a lot of bad faces, I think the classic Hulk of this statue is dynamite. Has that perfect savage hulk look, reminiscent of the Buscema/Byrne days with a touch of the 80s cartoon thrown in.
I think the Byrne Hulk is a good comparison, I think what I didn't originally like was 1 the bushy eyebrows, 2 the hair style, from a few of the photos it made him look old, but as I looked at different angles of the statue, I think it looks alot better
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:19 AM   #523
SparkyMW
Fantastic Four

For me personally, the bushy, full hairstyle is what the classic savage hulk is all about. I also think the bushy eyebrows go with that, and lend itself to his primordial roots. The gigantic Kirby or McFarlane brow it not really for me.

I feel most hulk statues miss the look, as far as I am concerned. Even the LBS 1/3 hulk missed it. The classic head sculpt is good, but the hair is a miss. Too close cropped for a proper, savage hulk. This classic hulk has nailed it so far as I can tell. Only the professor hulk should rock the no hair on the back and sides look.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:07 AM   #524
MPCanes
The X-Men

One just needs an artful eye to know these are a miss.
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 09:20 AM   #525
SparkyMW
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post

Disagree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hulk-classic_marvel_gallery_65f20f102ce20.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	170336   Click image for larger version

Name:	hulk-classic_marvel_gallery_65f20f119013c.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	170337   Click image for larger version

Name:	hulk-classic_marvel_gallery_65f20f10af43e.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	170338  
Old 05-05-2024, 09:24 AM   #526
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
BINGO.

But a seasoned art(s)y eye. Not a student of 2-3 of art. Then you don't need more than 5 seconds to analyze this sculpt and point to all of its major problems.

Nevertheless, i don't want to be so harsh on D.B. The guy tries, but his male sculpts are all lacking (and they are all misses for the ages). His Batgirl, the first licensed female sculpt of his, is a good one. Maybe he is more suited sculpting females, it is not bad to not be able to have a talent in one aspect.

All sculptors cant be Will Godbottle.

Harbottle sculpts a male comic character, a female comic character, an actor, a RANDOM female character from his imagination and he aces. He is on a category of his own.

I don't want to be too harsh on D.B. I changed my comment on the Batman vs Joker diorama, where Joker (sculpted by Martin Canale) is perfect and Batman is a hot mess.

I know that artists are sensitive "animals" and any criticism on their projects is taken to heart. So i changed my comments.

But i did not edit my comment on Canale's 2024 standalone Batman PFF regarding his traditional/full digital sculpts. Martin is older and more "tough". He can accept criticism easier and i bet that he reads the forum. Something is missing when he goes FULL digital. He needs a combination of 2 methods. He is one of the top 5 hand-sculptors along with Peterson, Wand and Jerry (Jerry was a master in sculpting beefed-up male statues). Martin can accept criticism, he is "seasoned", he is an old fox.

So i changed my comments regarding Daniel Bel and his male sculpts in order not to make him feel bad cause i want him to improve his skills and try, try, try. To work, work, work in order to improve. Till then he can sculpt more females than males where also the margin of error is bigger cause the "thirst" for female sculpts in this hobby is crazy and guys are more "relaxed" regarding inaccuracies on a female sculpt provided that it is a sexy one.

Free lesson, guys. Take some notes. Forps is GOATing here.
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:38 PM   #527
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Disagree.
I disagree as well. Forps and often see eye to eye but I think this is great dynamic hulk and I love is larger body to head proportions.
Forps is ordering the new Batman while I do not love that one so much.

If production does not drop the ball this Hulk will be a good one. 750 ES is pretty good too.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:48 PM   #528
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I disagree as well. Forps and often see eye to eye but I think this is great dynamic hulk and I love is larger body to head proportions.
Forps is ordering the new Batman while I do not love that one so much.

If production does not drop the ball this Hulk will be a good one. 750 ES is pretty good too.
qz33, my friend.

I've ordered this Hulk (both versions). I order nearly all of Sideshow's products. I even ordered that abomination, the new Green Lantern PFF by D.B.

But i am always objective. This sculpt lacks. The only positive thing is that it is massive. Nothing else. I believed that you go BEYOND the 1st impression. USE your "eye". I love Sideshow but i am keeping it real.

Regarding Batman PFF by Canale, go and check my critique. Yes, to MASTER Canale. The fact that i POed it is irrelevant. I know that Martin underdelivered there and i also, along with a fellow collector, assumed that full digital does not suit Canale.

I POed cause i PO nearly all of Sideshow's products. Nothing new, lol.

Check my critique on the Batman vs Joker diorama (i deleted some comments because i didnt want to be too harsh to D.B.). Joker is marvellous, but Batman (sculpted by D.B.) is a hot mess. He is tooooooo skinny (he needs to eat some sandwiches), his expression is wrong, his obliques are a mess, the angles of the body and the body movement are wrong, Batman sculpted by D.B. there is a mess. But i was polite (i know that artists are sensitive "animals" and criticism for their projects "hurts" their feelings. Canale is a "seasoned" sculptor, he can accept it easier).

Sorry, but this Hulk is simply massive. Nothing more, nothing less. if you get pass that, then you can easily discern the many problems the sculpt has.

But i POed it. Along with that abomination, the new Green Lantern PFF. I even own Flash PFF and the Zoolander Captain America PFF!
Old 05-05-2024, 01:16 PM   #529
SparkyMW
Fantastic Four

The sculpt is terrible but I ordered two.

I think your opinion means Jack, pal.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:18 PM   #530
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
The sculpt is terrible but I ordered two.

I think your opinion means Jack, pal.
Two = Green and Red. Albeit it still is the same sculpt, so you are right, lol

Well, i even ordered that abomination, one of Sideshow's worst male sculpts, the new Green Lantern PFF, so.....