Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #321
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
That's where I'm coming from as well. When you really think about it all the really good characters have already been created. Name more than 5 characters that were created within the last 20 years that are actually popular and relevant? I can only think of Harley Quinn, Deadpool and X-23. Now name a character of color that been created in the last 30 years that is still around and has their own book. Luke Cage, the Falcon and the Black Panther are pushing 40 & 50 years respectively so they don't count. The only character of color that has their own book that I can think of is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (latino) and Spawn (African American but severly burned).
Does Blade count?
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #322
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
That's where I'm coming from as well. When you really think about it all the really good characters have already been created. Name more than 5 characters that were created within the last 20 years that are actually popular and relevant? I can only think of Harley Quinn, Deadpool and X-23. Now name a character of color that been created in the last 30 years that is still around and has their own book. Luke Cage, the Falcon and the Black Panther are pushing 40 & 50 years respectively so they don't count. The only character of color that has their own book that I can think of is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (latino) and Spawn (African American but severly burned).
So, I'm sure you're not saying that ethnicity doesn't count if someone is severely burned, right? Victor Von Doom is severely burned, but he's still Caucasian beneath the burns, just like Spawn is African American.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #323
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
So, I'm sure you're not saying that ethnicity doesn't count if someone is severely burned, right? Victor Von Doom is severely burned, but he's still Caucasian beneath the burns, just like Spawn is African American.
No my thing is comic book characters of color never stand the test of time and the few that do, like Spawn, don't necessarily need to be disfigured so the readers forget his skin color.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #324
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
Does Blade count?
Nopes. It's his 40th this year.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #325
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
No my thing is comic book characters of color never stand the test of time and the few that do, like Spawn, don't necessarily need to be disfigured so the readers forget his skin color.
Current Spawn is white and Al Simmons is a normal human .
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #326
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
Current Spawn is white and Al Simmons is a normal human .
Lol
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #327
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Static Shock, Steel, Aqualad (Khalder), John Stewart GL, Batwing, Black Lightning, Vixen and Firestorm, while not necessarily starring in their own books, have been showcased prominently in the comics and animated media by DC/WB. (and lets face it no one really has thier own books outside of the Worlds Finest over at the Distinguished Competition).
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #328
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #329
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

The main problem I have with this debate is when folks snarkly say things like "if that's the case Black Panther should be white". It will never happen and it just sounds like playground whining. For the record I absolutely disagree with casting long established main characters against type -- be it race, gender, or even general appearance. I do, however support recasting supporting roles with more diversity. This ain't the 1950s. Characters like Fury, Heimdall, Perry White, and Hogun were fine changes. (Tadanobu Sato as Hogun kind of disappeared on the screen though, no problem with the character being Asian, but a different actor with a gruffer look might have been better). Kingpin was a 50/50 -- MKD was fine, I had bigger problems with Bullseye and Electra-- the movie was just so bad. I also agree that more ethnic and female characters should be created, but that's only a partial solution. Nobody knows which characters are going to get traction.

Anyway, back to the central topic of Fantastic 4. I was thinking that Alice Eve would be a great Sue Storm. She's gorgeous and around the right age. If the rumors prove untrue I like Alex Pettyfer for Human Torch. For Mr. Fantastic I like either Benedict Cumberbatch or Hugh Laurie. Thing should be CGI, but for Ben Grimm I'd like The Rock (#1 choice, biracial, and even the name works) Vin Diesel (perfect voice but already taken for Groot), or Ray Stevenson (he's just cool). Dang, I should be casting this flick. Of course dream casting never factors in availability, bankability, actor interest, price, cast chemistry, director vision, audition/screen testing, studio meddling, and any number of other variables that go into the decision-making.

As for the story, I'd like to see them going up first against Mole Man and his minions (homage to the origin) and then maybe some iteration of the Frightful Four (maybe Wizard, Klaw, Trapster and Titania) which would make for very cool superhero fight/action sequences. I'd have Doom in the shadows until the end when he gets the full reveal (in the right costume) which would then be the setup for the sequel. FF2 would be Dr. Doom. FF3 would be Skrulls/Super Skrull, and FF4 would be Galactus, Surfer and Heralds (done right).

I swear if FOX blows this franchise the rights can't revert back fast enough.

edit: forgot Stevenson is playing Volstagg so already taken.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #330
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Static Shock, Steel, Aqualad (Khalder), John Stewart GL, Batwing, Black Lightning, Vixen and Firestorm, while not necessarily starring in their own books, have been showcased prominently in the comics and animated media by DC/WB. (and lets face it no one really has thier own books outside of the Worlds Finest over at the Distinguished Competition).
Are any of those characters (besides John Stewart, who could easily be in JLA or a GL sequel) actually marketable in Hollywood though?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote