Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-07-2024, 05:18 PM   #81
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post
Can we PLEASE, please MOVE ON? To talk about art and Sideshow?
NEVER! Nothing posted online ever truly disappears...I will scour the internet in search of these elusive pics

- Little Weasel
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:26 PM   #82
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
NEVER! Nothing posted online ever truly disappears...I will scour the internet in search of these elusive pics

- Little Weasel
IcedDog. I wanted them deleted, i don't want weirdos and whackos or crazy dudes or jealous guys coming after me. Please don't feed the trolls and maniacs here. It is a dangerous path.
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:30 PM   #83
Forps is back
The Avengers

Just to END this discussion cause it is boring. So i don't get the whole thing about how many statues you own etc. I own a gazillion (yes, a gazillion) but i NEVER asked anyone "how many statues do you own, pal?".

I can "smell" if he has an "eye" for art or not, if he eg writes "Wow, dude, that Prime1 Batman Who Laughs 1/3 is amazing. Prime1 rulezzzzzz, dude. Sideshow sucks".

This guy, regardless if he owns 1 piece or 1000 pieces, is a CASUAL.

Or guys collecting custom stuff. I own ZERO custom pieces. ZERO. 98% of custom stuff looks like crap. I am serious here. The sculpts are atrocious, art direction non-existent, paint jobs are laughable. The vast majority of custom statues are even worse than let's say......(nope i won't say it lol)..

I don't know how many statues qz33 owns but i can BET that he has an "eye" for art. You can "smell" it, you can read his comments and you know that he knows his sh.t.

I don't know how many statues bdlovelace owns (i NEVER ask and frankly speaking, i DONT CARE) but it is obvious that he has a good art taste.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:31 PM   #84
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
IcedDog. I wanted them deleted, i don't want weirdos and whackos or crazy dudes or jealous guys coming after me. Please don't feed the trolls and maniacs here. It is a dangerous path.
I'm just messin with ya, but I understand, I shall never mention them again
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:31 PM   #85
Forps is back
The Avengers

So back to the last comment before the 517th derailment

Sideshow is crazy hot atm. She restarts the COTD, produces 3 excellent Star Wars pieces, reveals new magnificent Marvel/DC statues etc.

Nevertheless, she should be cautious.

The edition sizes are going to be small. The market is struggling.

Her aim should be to KO the competition, to suffocate them by "concentrating" all collector's money like a vacuum.

Costs must be under control, new hires only for select people (eg Andy Bergholtz if he wants to come back), NO CONS for the time being (cons are for Tubers wandering all day around Sideshow's booth to make videos and lives hoping to get viral or to get views/money. Cons are LOSS-MAKING for Sideshow).

No enthusiasm yet.

Sideshow has the competition where she wants it to be. At the corner while she punches it relentlessly. But she must be clever and not overextend herself for the time being.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:54 AM   #86
Halcyon
Loki

Talking

Quote:
Just to END this discussion cause it is boring. So i don't get the whole thing about how many statues you own etc. I own a gazillion (yes, a gazillion) but i NEVER asked anyone "how many statues do you own, pal?".

I can "smell" if he has an "eye" for art or not, if he eg writes "Wow, dude, that Prime1 Batman Who Laughs 1/3 is amazing. Prime1 rulezzzzzz, dude. Sideshow sucks".

This guy, regardless if he owns 1 piece or 1000 pieces, is a CASUAL.

Or guys collecting custom stuff. I own ZERO custom pieces. ZERO. 98% of custom stuff looks like crap. I am serious here. The sculpts are atrocious, art direction non-existent, paint jobs are laughable. The vast majority of custom statues are even worse than let's say......(nope i won't say it lol)..

I don't know how many statues qz33 owns but i can BET that he has an "eye" for art. You can "smell" it, you can read his comments and you know that he knows his sh.t.

I don't know how many statues bdlovelace owns (i NEVER ask and frankly speaking, i DONT CARE) but it is obvious that he has a good art taste.

I get a bit of a TRUMP-lecture vibe when Forbs uses 'gazillion', 'whackos' and 'Artsy fartsy'..

But I am prob one of the 'Casuals', even though i can spot potential good sideshow statues (PO) within 5 sec too. I avoided the most disappointing versions.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:17 AM   #87
MPCanes
The X-Men

Yep. One thing is clear, while Forps has the artsy eye, he lacks the long term vision eye (equating anime with hentai is weird. Tons of comic book fans clamor for sexy girl statues). Sideshow will at some point need to diversify away from just DC/Marvel/Star Wars. What that could be? Anime, Video Games, movie/TV (a return to the roots), originals (COTD/monsters), etc.

Are there creepy anime statues? Of course. Are there creepy non anime statues? Yes, a lot. If a weirdo wants it, they'll find it.

Funny how the hurting companies (Prime 1, XM, etc) are all big DC/Marvel shops where ones that are video game/anime first (First4Figures, Tsume, Figurama) seem to be hitting their stride...

Don't worry Forps, those with the artful eye can also develop the long term vision!
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:34 AM   #88
God
Frackin!
Adamantium Member

I think Sideshow doing anime / manga could be interesting. Many of the current statues in that realm are formulaic, there's quite a heavy focus on making things hyper dynamic, heavy on translucent resin effects, etc.

That is not to say that this is bad, but it would be nice to see a new direction, possibly being cleaner, simpler, and more museum focused. There would need to be room for interpretation allowed by Sideshow though.

The mixed media Dragon Ball Z was a great idea.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:51 AM   #89
KiDD
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
Don't worry Forps, those with the artful eye can also develop the long term vision!
Must be age induced presbyopia - at least he sounds like someone in their sixties.

Got to agree with MPCanes and God here. Expanding licenses and approaches is the way to go, it would be idiotic to stick with just one or two scales and a handful of licenses. Smaller, more affordable pieces and modern IP's is the way to many young collector's hearts I reckon.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #90
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
Yep. One thing is clear, while Forps has the artsy eye, he lacks the long term vision eye (equating anime with hentai is weird. Tons of comic book fans clamor for sexy girl statues). Sideshow will at some point need to diversify away from just DC/Marvel/Star Wars. What that could be? Anime, Video Games, movie/TV (a return to the roots), originals (COTD/monsters), etc.

Are there creepy anime statues? Of course. Are there creepy non anime statues? Yes, a lot. If a weirdo wants it, they'll find it.

Funny how the hurting companies (Prime 1, XM, etc) are all big DC/Marvel shops where ones that are video game/anime first (First4Figures, Tsume, Figurama) seem to be hitting their stride...

Whatever side of the fence you are on, there's no question that Forps knows how to incite a delicious forum conversation. I get what he's saying about 'anime' but that is one genre of anime type/looking statue. Not to be confused with the more main stream anime, like Bleach, Demon Slayer, Pokemon,
Berserk, etc
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote