Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-07-2023, 06:02 PM   #311
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Oh no doubt SS has way more clout than probably anyone else. I think that ARH had said the factory required 100 orders or something, probably why even the really limited variant stuff is at least 150, but there are price breaks as you go up in the run size. Its not so much about them not being able to stay in business, but they have to really have bankable characters they plan to make. There are too many players in the game to think the factories will just all of a sudden roll back the requirements, I dont see that really being a thing, just fewer obscure characters and not much past the B-list down the road.
No I don't think they'll slash it below 100 but the pie pieces will keep getting smaller with so many players taking a slice along with the overall pie shrinking from fewer customers at a time.

Even Sideshow doing a 250 non variant release like Poison Ivy had been unheard of for years. I think there will be a lot more sub 1K and sub 500 ES in the future.

The factories largely schedule on time but they haven't wanted to mess with a 150 ES when P1 and Sideshow and most others had been making 1K ES the standard minimum. More than anything else the demand for statues is what has led to the inflated prices. Factories will start producing smaller ES runs before they start lowering their prices.

Statue collecting as a hobby HAS to be a slow burn. So many just seemed to think this massive increase was going to be the norm. 10 years ago would have been a struggle to buy 100K of statues in a year.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:59 PM   #312
Onewiththeforce
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Just curious, how many out there are collecting for the simple fact of just collecting for the love and passion of....

well.....

collecting.?

I mean I guess for me it is still as much about nostalgia as it was when I first started in this hobby. At the end of the day, I work from home and I am so very happy that I transformed my home office into my man cave. Now I get to at the very least enjoy working around and being around my statues and comics which again, very nostalgic from childhood and get to be around them anywhere from 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I get to look at them, get up and dust them, move them around, think of new display positions, and simply just appreciate them for what joy they have all brought me and truly feel that I am surrounded by beautiful works of art during my day.

I get the whole resale value, appreciation, depreciation, inflation, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah, and yes, I am too a part of it all as I too have found that the prices have become astronomical as well as the attempt to resell anything would put me in the negatives and have me taking losses.

But in the end, I still get that excited about unboxing a new piece, making room for it on the shelves, figuring out where and how to display it and sitting with it and admiring the hard work that a team of people put into it.

Again, don't get me wrong, I truly realize just how important it is to address the financials, the edition sizes, the resale values and such and of course at the end of the day, there is very little that we can do to control the inflation and the economy. For me, I guess all that I have accepted that I can control is the maintaining of the joy that this hobby has brought me. I will stop when the joy and fun are no longer.

LOL!!!! OR.....when my money runs out. LOL!!!!!

Whichever comes first. LOL!!!!

Anyhow, enjoy all!!! Looking forward to this Deathstroke when it is released.

Cheers.
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:48 AM   #313
DevGuy
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post
Just curious, how many out there are collecting for the simple fact of just collecting for the love and passion of....

well.....

collecting.?
I buy them because I like the look of them, but I tend to stick with characters and settings that I like, with some exceptions. But I do have a tendency to go all-in on things, bit of a collector's curse...

My favourite statue right now is Weta's Dead Marshes which I received just last week. I can't stop smiling when I walk past it and check it out. Kinda wish I'd been in on the prior Masters Collection statues .
DevGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #314
Onewiththeforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGuy View Post
I buy them because I like the look of them, but I tend to stick with characters and settings that I like, with some exceptions. But I do have a tendency to go all-in on things, bit of a collector's curse...

My favourite statue right now is Weta's Dead Marshes which I received just last week. I can't stop smiling when I walk past it and check it out. Kinda wish I'd been in on the prior Masters Collection statues .

Old 12-08-2023, 12:43 PM   #315
Detective27
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post

well.....

collecting.?

I mean I guess for me it is still as much about nostalgia as it was when I first started in this hobby. At the end of the day, I work from home and I am so very happy that I transformed my home office into my man cave. Now I get to at the very least enjoy working around and being around my statues and comics which again, very nostalgic from childhood and get to be around them anywhere from 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I get to look at them, get up and dust them, move them around, think of new display positions, and simply just appreciate them for what joy they have all brought me and truly feel that I am surrounded by beautiful works of art during my day.

I get the whole resale value, appreciation, depreciation, inflation, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah, and yes, I am too a part of it all as I too have found that the prices have become astronomical as well as the attempt to resell anything would put me in the negatives and have me taking losses.

But in the end, I still get that excited about unboxing a new piece, making room for it on the shelves, figuring out where and how to display it and sitting with it and admiring the hard work that a team of people put into it.

Again, don't get me wrong, I truly realize just how important it is to address the financials, the edition sizes, the resale values and such and of course at the end of the day, there is very little that we can do to control the inflation and the economy. For me, I guess all that I have accepted that I can control is the maintaining of the joy that this hobby has brought me. I will stop when the joy and fun are no longer.

LOL!!!! OR.....when my money runs out. LOL!!!!!

Whichever comes first. LOL!!!!

Anyhow, enjoy all!!! Looking forward to this Deathstroke when it is released.

Cheers.
Detective27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #316
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

It’s my favorite hobby ever, but eventually you run short of space or money and move onto something else. I have more great stuff than I ever thought possible when I got started.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 05:43 PM   #317
Onewiththeforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
It?s my favorite hobby ever, but eventually you run short of space or money and move onto something else. I have more great stuff than I ever thought possible when I got started.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #318
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I feel there's a lot of us still waiting on that elusive 1/4 scale Perez Classic Deathstroke. We clamored for it years ago when Deathstroker showed himself, and yet SS decided to do their take (yet again). So I'm not entirely surprised by a low 350 ES. Prices are high, yes, but I think it's more to do with collectors being patient and willing to wait till just the right statue comes along. An amazing Penguin statue can get a 1500 ES so I think a perfect Deathstroke will stoke those same collector fires.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:01 PM   #319
DevGuy
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
I feel there's a lot of us still waiting on that elusive 1/4 scale Perez Classic Deathstroke. We clamored for it years ago when Deathstroker showed himself, and yet SS decided to do their take (yet again). So I'm not entirely surprised by a low 350 ES. Prices are high, yes, but I think it's more to do with collectors being patient and willing to wait till just the right statue comes along. An amazing Penguin statue can get a 1500 ES so I think a perfect Deathstroke will stoke those same collector fires.
Penguin is more well known than Deathstroke. And the upcoming SS Penguin statue is pretty amazing so not surprised it is highly desirable, resulting in a high ES.
DevGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:02 PM   #320
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
The OG Deathstroker PF was an absolute abomination across the board. A terrible made up costume, feminine pose, and a nerd body type. It basically looks like a skinny cos-player with a bad costume at a con.

This new PF is a solid Deathstroke offering. Anyone who just wants to add a cool looking 1/4 Deathstroke statue to their collection...this fills that bill. This costume is far more comic accurate than the 1st PF's. This statue is HEAVILY inspired by Tony Daniel's art. I think sideshow did an excellent job capturing Tony's art in this PF. This is a good looking statue.

All that said, Sideshow completely screwed the pooch with the 1st PF and left those of us wanting a classic 1/4 Perez Deathstroke, hanging. Basically, all of us classic fans are left to hope that Tweeterhead releases a 1/4 classic Deathstroke. If that fails to happen, going the custom route may be the only option left. I can't believe that it can come to that. Classic versions of characters are popular. Can you imagine sideshow releasing multiple Joker, Darkseid, Catwoman, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, etc....PFs and not one of them is in their classic costumes? Hell, even Sabretooth has a classic PF. Yet, Deathstroke does not.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote