Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
I love Batman but really hate Judd Winick this is an easy pass for me.
What dont you like about Winick's writing?
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
You dont think Johns does a good job of bringing everyone up to speed with all the players though?

He's been pretty good with that for years now imo...for example when he explained Liberty Belle's relationship with her speedster dad from the golden age which of course had a purpose.

We even get a glimpse into Barry's trial which touches on the history between him and the villain in the ending.

Unlike many writers out there, Johns always likes to give new readers a quick history lesson while invoking new twists & turns for veteran readers to make for an exciting story.
Totally agree. This is one reason he was so perfect for JSA.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
Rocket
Art of Mod

Had no idea what the premise of Claremont's "Forever" was, and considering his late 90's return to Uncanny was disappointing, I didn't pick it up yesterday at the LCS. Thanks for filling me in!! Now I'll give it a go for sure!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
You dont think Johns does a good job of bringing everyone up to speed with all the players though?

He's been pretty good with that for years now imo...for example when he explained Liberty Belle's relationship with her speedster dad from the golden age which of course had a purpose.

We even get a glimpse into Barry's trial which touches on the history between him and the villain in the ending.

Unlike many writers out there, Johns always likes to give new readers a quick history lesson while invoking new twists & turns for veteran readers to make for an exciting story.
I felt the Flashes were explained well, but some of the other characters I still wasn't sure about. I would be specific but I'm at work and don't have the comic with me. But yes, I feel much closer to being up to speed with Flash than when I tried Green Lantern a year or so ago. I think the biggest thing is that I'm used to having a much larger frame of reference.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
What dont you like about Winick's writing?
This person shares the same feelings I do about him.

Winick just can't seem to get out of his own way. When he's not haphazardly killing/resurrecting a hero or randomly revealing that a long-standing character is in fact a homosexual, Winnick can't help but revert to the worst type of storytelling – the type where characters behave in inconsistent, uncharacteristic manners solely because it serves his lackluster plot.

The trial of Shazam should have been called the trail of Shazam it kept going nowhere fast.
I wonder who he's going to have be gay my money is on Alfred,Jason or Bruce's hellspawn.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #26
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Dawg’s Reviews

Uncanny X-Men #511
Marvel Comics
Written by: Matt Fraction
Drawn by: Greg Land

In the first of two separate X-Men reviews this week, Uncanny X-Men, set in current continuity is a pretty awesome issue. The psychic ghost of Cyclops ex-wife Maddie Pryor has been wreaking havoc in our heroes universe. She has stolen the body of the deceased Kwannon as well as captured Psylocke and twisted them into a perverse version of both, as well as made her into a member of her evil sisterhood of mutants. All Psylocke is however is a test case for her real plan, which is to take over the dead body of my favorite female in the Marvel Universe… Jean Grey. In fact Marvel solicits this issue as “We’ll let the cover speak for itself”

…….

Uh… to me that just means that Marvel loves to tease the fans that are hopeful for a Jean Grey return and they are usually full of sh*t. This issue really had zero to do with Jean Grey other than Maddie wanting to inhabit her body and the cover wasn’t fooling anyone… even though it’s a pretty HOT cover.

Where this issue shines is the dialogue of the characters. Once again Wolvie and Cyke aren’t seeing eye to eye over Jean, because venerable softy Wolverine kept a lock of Jean’s hair for remembrance.

Northstar gets a great one-liner as the team races to try and cut Maddie off at the pass.

Dazzler gets to shine better than she has since 1989 in an X-Men book as she and Psylocke go at it in combat. Long time Psylocke fans really get to be happy here by the end as well.

The action was great in this issue and it would have only been served better had there been a few longer camera shots to show scope and the true depth of the battle. In tight to the action I feel it was damn good, but the stakes could have seemed higher has we seen a touch more of the fights from afar, the way Silvestri, Romita, and Lee used to. That said, I think the current Uncanny book does evoke some of those classic days from the 80’s. Fraction has made me quite happy taking the reigns of this book.

The absolute best moment however comes at the end, and it belongs to Hank McCoy as he throws his old friend Cyclops an ultimatum, even as he mentions that he and the science team are leaving on a special mission.

I can’t wait and this issue is my pick of the week.

Could not agree more!!

Ever since Fraction came on board I've been wondering if he was gonna ever deliver on the hype. Over the past three issues or so he has slowly been making good, and this issue, for me, was brilliant!!

LOVED Hank's "chat" with Scott!!!

Uncanny feels like a must read again!!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote