Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: Do you want Scale sizes listed by SS on every preview order?
Yes ~ With NRD it's crucial the scale is listed! No more guessing games. 134 92.41%
No ~ Its fine the way it is! 11 7.59%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #121
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzylojiks View Post
That would be interesting. I doubt Bowen will want to break out of his mold tho' he's too set in his ways. Koto would be an interesting choice if they improve their paint apps.

I wonder why so many companies have the 1/6-1/7 scale licence but only Sideshow has the 1/4 scale one.
2 things. It cost more money to produce 1/4 then 1/6 and there is more profit in 1/6 then 1/4.

If Koto or BD can sell a 1/6 at $200 and they use far less material. It would take minimum of three 1/6 statue material to make one 1/4 statue. That means if they sell three 1/6 statues they get $600. One 1/4 statue at $300. Do the math. It's a 3 to 1 ratio in profits they would make if they sold 1/6 versus 1/4.

IMO and business sense, Koto & BD will never touch 1/4 scale because of money they will make based on scales. Not to mention the shipping cost & storage space between 1/4 and 1/6.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #122
Fuzzylojiks
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
2 things. It cost more money to produce 1/4 then 1/6 and there is more profit in 1/6 then 1/4.

If Koto or BD can sell a 1/6 at $200 and they use far less material. It would take minimum of three 1/6 statue material to make one 1/4 statue. That means if they sell three 1/6 statues they get $600. One 1/4 statue at $300. Do the math. It's a 3 to 1 ratio in profits they would make if they sold 1/6 versus 1/4.

IMO and business sense, Koto & BD will never touch 1/4 scale because of money they will make based on scales.
True, if more people converted to 1/4 scale it would be a different story, the 1/6 scale market would dry up. Still even with a 1/4 @ 300, it's not necessarily that much more expensive than a 1/6 to develop I'm sure. So who knows, Sideshow may actually make more on their 1/4 than the 1/6.
Fuzzylojiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #123
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzylojiks View Post
True, if more people converted to 1/4 scale it would be a different story, the 1/6 scale market would dry up.
Yes, but not all people collect 1/4 scale due to space or cost of them. Thats why there will always be demand of 1/6 scale statues.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #124
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Problem I have with providing the scale is that it is still subjective. The descriptions are not 100% precise. My Slave Leia PF is smaller in scale than my Jedi Luke PF although both are supposed to be 1/4 scale. As long as statues are still hand sculpted you will never be able to get 100% consistent scale. There's no excuse with digital sculpts.

If any of you collect Japanese PVC statues or do Garage Kits, their scale descriptions are a joke. Japanese figures identified as 1/6 scale are closer to 1/7 and sometime 1/8 in reality.

I'm not saying that SS shouldn't provide an estimated scale, but they need to post an accurate height. I've seen a number of times that the height noted being off.

Or how about having one photo with a ruler (with inches and CM) next to the statue instead of the stupid apple.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:19 AM   #125
Fuzzylojiks
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Problem I have with providing the scale is that it is still subjective. The descriptions are not 100% precise. My Slave Leia PF is smaller in scale than my Jedi Luke PF although both are supposed to be 1/4 scale. As long as statues are still hand sculpted you will never be able to get 100% consistent scale. There's no excuse with digital sculpts.

If any of you collect Japanese PVC statues or do Garage Kits, their scale descriptions are a joke. Japanese figures identified as 1/6 scale are closer to 1/7 and sometime 1/8 in reality.

I'm not saying that SS shouldn't provide an estimated scale, but they need to post an accurate height. I've seen a number of times that the height noted being off.

Or how about having one photo with a ruler (with inches and CM) next to the statue instead of the stupid apple.
That's a great idea and a good alternative to have ruler pics and comparison pics.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #126
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Just do this....if you prefer PFs over Comiquettes, don't buy Comiquettes and just get PF's. That way you eliminate the guessing game as to what scale it is. Usually, PFs are 1/4 scale and Comiquettes are 1/5. The only time a Comiquette is 1/4 scale (i.e. Venom, Carnage, Silver Surfer, etc.) is when a Marvel PF can only be made in Comiquette form. Then you can buy those.

Comiquettes suck anyway.....lol...I know I'll get some flack from this comment.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #127
Fuzzylojiks
Kindly Asked To Leave

I like my 1/4 scale comiquettes they rock.

The list of 1/4 scale (or close) comiquettes is pretty large.

1. Carnage Comiquette
2. Venom Comiquette
3. Spiderman Comiquette
4. Ironman Comiquette
5. Stealth Ironman Comiquette
6. Punisher Comiquette
7. Elektra Comiquette
8. Mystique Comiquette
9. Ironman Maquette
10. Back in Black Spiderman Comiquette
11. Iron Spiderman Comiquette
12. Man-Thing
13. Silver Surfer Comiquette.
14. Namor Comiquette
15. Classic Ironman Comiquette
16. Wolverine Comiquette
17. Warmachine Maquette

PS: Punisher, Elektra and Mystique are in between 1/4 and 1/5.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #128
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Yes, but not all people collect 1/4 scale due to space or cost of them. Thats why there will always be demand of 1/6 scale statues.
I actually love the 1/5 scale!
A happy middle and plenty big to display!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #129
Fuzzylojiks
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by averone View Post
I actually love the 1/5 scale!
A happy middle and plenty big to display!
Yeah, that's not a problem as long as they list it on order so people who want to buy the 1/5 still will. That's needed especially with money down. Customers need to know what they are buying.

Even when you custom a piece, they tell you what scale it is right off the bat. It's pretty easy. Give me a piece in hand and I can tell you the scale in less than a minute.

PS: you getting Hobgoblin alex?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #130
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
So tell me the logic in that. A Bowen Thor is $200 at 1/6. The much bigger and eye grabbing 1/4 SS Thor is $324. Ummmm, space at this issue is negligible, unless its like the SS Hulk or ABomination where it takes up massive amounts of space. But honestly, if I'm paying $200+ dollars for a statue, I'd rather save and put down the extra $100 for a much bigger and more commanding statue.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote