Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Garth Ennis' Crossed Trade Review w/ Slight Spoiler.

I'm almost at a loss for words with this comic. I just picked up the trade, collecting Ennis' complete run, and read it in one sitting. Brutal beyond words. I couldn't put it down, yet found it pushed the envelope almost to the point of offensive. The slight spoiler is that the story involves a world in which most of humankind somehow looses the part of the brain that suppresses all primal-violent & sexual instinct. It reminded me very much of The Walking Dead, w a group of survivors dealing.... but on heavy-steroids. Ennis has been one of my favorite writers since his Goddess mini-series & Hellblazer work, so I know from experience he delivers & this series, while uber-violent did have an intelligent under thread. Still this book was intense. First time I've bought a trade collection with no for-knowledge of the book.

I can't recommend this book because it is very violent and won't be everyone's cup of tea...but, if you like survivalist-based stories & have experience w/ Ennis' extreme style, you may very well like the roller-coaster ride this twisted book has to offer.

Do Not Let Your Kids Read This Book! Don't leave the trade, if you buy it, out on a table w/ little-ones in the house.

p.s. - I did "Crossed" searches here at SF but couldn't find much. Sorry, if this ground's been already covered.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Sounds interesting.. I'll have to check it out.

Ennis doesn't disappoint.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

Hmmm...

I've been wondering about this book for a while now, but I just can't bring myself to pick it up. I can't say whether that's due to my middling attitude towards Ennis' work as a whole, or the art, which looks kinda amateurish.

I love Ennis' war comics, but I've had a hard time getting into his other stuff.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

Did you read his Punisher, BT? Best comics I've ever read, period.

I also love his war stuff...but I like his extreme "other stuff" too. I agree that it can wear thin. I've finally dropped The Boys and I actually found his Preacher a little "too much" at times in it's American interpretations ... as seen by an Irish Writer.
His Hellblazer run is my favorite of all of them. His 2000 AD work, I remember as fun. His Dan Dare, Space Opera revisit was quite good and clean for a change. Both minis of Just a Pilgrim were killer. I could go on.

This Crossed is as extreme a book as I've ever seen him write. But...it's a horror book and, I suppose, he's pushing the envelope yet again for a reason, even if its an artistic one.

* Jeesh, when you consider the amount of work this man churns out year after year...he's gotta be the hardest working writer in the biz today. I'd say as much, if not more than Bru, Bendis, etc...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Babytoxie
Ghost

Hellblazer and Dan Dare... great stuff! Never read his Punisher, but I think it's time I did.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post

I'm almost at a loss for words with this comic. I just picked up the trade, collecting Ennis' complete run, and read it in one sitting. Brutal beyond words. I couldn't put it down, yet found it pushed the envelope almost to the point of offensive. The slight spoiler is that the story involves a world in which most of humankind somehow looses the part of the brain that suppresses all primal-violent instinct. It reminded me very much of The Walking Dead, w a group of survivors dealing.... but on heavy-steroids. Ennis has been one of my favorite writers since his Goddess mini-series & Hellblazer work, so I know from experience he delivers & this series, while uber-violent did have an intelligent under thread. Still this book was intense. First time I've bought a trade collection with no for-knowledge of the book.

I can't recommend this book because it is very violent and won't be everyone's cup of tea...but, if you like survivalist-based stories & have experience w/ Ennis' extreme style, you may very well like the roller-coaster ride this twisted book has to offer.

Do Not Let Your Kids Read This Book! Don't leave the trade, if you buy it, out on a table w/ little-ones in the house.

p.s. - I did "Crossed" searches here at SF but couldn't find much. Sorry, if this ground's been already covered.
Sounds like a great book for me to read.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Hellblazer and Dan Dare... great stuff! Never read his Punisher, but I think it's time I did.
My highest, highest recommendation. It transcends into the realm of crime-fiction. Wish the omnibus was still available for $69 on Amazon, you could kill 75% of Ennis' Punisher in one swoop.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
his punisher run is awesome. him & steve dillion hit the grandslam on that series
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
psycho shark
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Cool, thanks for the review.

I've flipped through the book a few times, and it looked pretty neat. I might have to give it a go...
psycho shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Has Jacen Burrows ever done any main stream work?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote