Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-03-2024, 05:01 PM   #421
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

Howard Senft silicone Reeves was well done. Just sold for $1900 on eBay.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:06 PM   #422
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I have finally figured out who does this revised headsculpt remind me of - the son of Christopher Reeve, Will Reeve.

The resemblance is there, sort of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Will Reeve.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	170306  
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:48 PM   #423
pdenham
Teen Titans

That bust likeness is excellent. Though it looks to me like a slightly older version of Reeve,
But it's definitely a Reeve that more people are going to recognize.

After spending more time video and new studio pics, and letting it all settle in, I think the revisions are - overall- a net improvement.
Not huge. Not night and day. Still a net +, even if that is only a 5% (or whatever) gain after doing all the addition and subtraction.

some more observations- see any difference?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sbust.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	170309   Click image for larger version

Name:	sclark.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	170310   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssup.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	170311  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:56 PM   #424
jodl73
Doh!

I do agree the previous head sculpt was good and only required better paint application and hair styling. The sculpt was fine as shown in the video unpainted, you can tell it's Reeve.
However this revised one is still good. Some of the other sculpts from different artists aren't 100% perfect either. To put this sculpt to the test I showed a picture to some people who aren't comic fans, don't collect statues etc. I showed the picture and asked if they know who this is. They answer Christopher Reeve. Obviously they would need to know who he is as well.
jodl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:05 PM   #425
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

In the small chance I get this, I’m trying to convince myself that I’ll be getting the duo anyway, so with the pair of them, it’s obvious whom both pieces are supposed to represent.

Hell, the total price of the duo is still far cheaper than Queens 1/3 Hulk that I also preordered.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:08 PM   #426
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodl73 View Post
I showed the picture and asked if they know who this is. They answer Christopher Reeve. Obviously they would need to know who he is as well.
I'm not surprised.
I could see Reeve in both versions, but I think he's a little more easily recognizable in the new HS- even if there is still room for improvement.

I keep bringing up the B/P1 Lynda Carter because the parallels to me are funny/sad.
The likeness on that is not as strong as it could be, and it's also off in the lower quadrant of the face*. The artist in that case steered her chin, jaw, and philtrum to classic feminine standards rather than accentuating how Carter's feature differ from those standards in those areas. She has almost a masculine sized chin and jawline, and her philtrum is quite elongated (relatively).
The artist there deferred to a more classic, feminine standard by making all those elements more petite.
It's subtle, and not unattractive, but it dilutes what could have been a totally spot on likeness from all angles.

The thing is, despite all that, I love it. Even if the likeness could be strengthened, I still recognize it as the actress. The only person I think of when I look at is Carter.
And having a representation of that actress, as that character, at that scale, is something I've wanted for decades.
The finished product may pale in comparison to an imaginary, theoretical ideal statue that hasn't and may never get made- but so what? It's a fifty year old property now. It has zero relevance to the twenty and thirty year olds driving the economy.
What I have in hand right now ain't perfect, but it still makes me happy.

I expect that when/if I ever have this Reeve in hand I will feel pretty much the same. I'll look at the portrait and sigh over what the sculptor failed to see or interpret properly, but I'll take it all in as an overall high quality representation of this actor as this character.

And it will make me happy because, despite the quibbles, it represents something that taps deeply into a highly personal nostalgia.
Perfection would be nice, but being able to focus on something's positives and enjoy what you are fortunate to have is an even more valuable quality, IMO.

* The "T" is also off on the new Reeve HS. His nose should be longer relative to his eye width- those proportions were more correct on the first HS, though the overall head shape on that was erring on too narrow and long, even for younger Reeve.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:47 PM   #427
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I think the resemblance is decent from the side views... but straight on it misses by too much.

Frustrating results from the second attempt of the company that considers itself to be the pinnacle of the hobby.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:23 PM   #428
Spideristic
Kingpin

There are only few official Christopher Reeve Superman statues and figures. Just for comparison here is the one by Hot Toys released in 2011.

They also went with a focused stare without the slight smile.

Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:49 PM   #429
azurepred
Zot

I'm surprised nobody has photoshopped the first sculpt with he new hair and new skin tone. I would be curious to see that.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:42 PM   #430
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I'm surprised nobody has photoshopped the first sculpt with he new hair and new skin tone. I would be curious to see that.
I did a rough comp and then threw it away. It's not the win people might expect it to be (IMO). The new hair fits the wider face shape of the new sculpt. Distorting it to fit the old one just calls attention to how that original sculpt was off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
There are only few official Christopher Reeve Superman statues and figures. Just for comparison here is the one by Hot Toys released in 2011.
I bought my first SSC statue in 2010.
I remember when this was solicited. I thought it looked great and it was tempting- but I couldn't make the leap into paying over $200 for a plastic action figure.

When I did start collecting HT in 2017, I flirted with paying a collector price for this but couldn't.
For a while I regretted passing on it originally.
I don't regret passing on it a second time at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hottoys 7%.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	170315